Thursday 31 May 2012

Dumbarton 10k

Results | Photos

Like last week I get a lift to the start line with Graham and his wee wind up car. With the sunshine out and the windows rolled down we enjoy a few musical guilty pleasures during the short drive to Dumbarton.

My plan goes out right the window after the first mile, again (5:28). I keep the next three mile splits within a second of each other so by mile 4 I'm in 13th place and have caught Russ Whittington. I hold onto Russ's shoulder for the next mile with Mick Maloone, Stevie P and Alex Chalmers up ahead. At mile 5 the pace drops to 5:50 which allows me to save just enough energy to surge past Russell and close down Mick Malone and Steven Prentice. 
Dumbarton 10k 2012

I overtake Mick just before the left turn into the home straight to move into 11th but can't hold it and Mick retakes me. With 100m to go I try hard to find something but it's not there and a Garscube runner charges past on the inside. I collapse on the grass, heart racing, breathing heavily but elated. I run a 34:34 to smash my two week old pb and take 13th overall, 4th vet prize and 3rd fastest team prize. Delighted! 

Splits: 5:28, 5:39, 5:38, 5:38, 5:51, 5:44
First 5k 17:18k

I can't make the last race in the series so that's the 2012 Polaroids over for me but what an amazing three weeks it was. Dark clouds and heavy rain in Helensburgh, scorching sunshine a week later in Clydebank and perfect conditions in Dumbarton. The Bellahouston Harriers performed brilliantly at all three meets winning male and female placings, team prizes and numerous personal bests. Rosie, Iain Burke and Tony Coyne offered fantastic support and my good mate Graham broke sub 43 and organised a few beers and a pizza in Firebird. Good running, good times.



2 comments:

  1. I knew sub 35 was imminent :) By an impressive margin too, really well done.

    ReplyDelete