Thursday 17 May 2012

Helensburgh 10k


ResultsPhotos
The first time I ran in the Polaroid 10k Road Race Series was in 2007. That was the year I ran my first sub 40 which was a great moment. After running the 6.2 miles with no real understanding of splits, pace or strategy I collapsed on a grassy verge beside a burly St John's ambulance man. I remember him casually looking down at this red faced sweaty mess lying at his feet and saying, "Mars bar?". 

First up in the series is Helensburgh, which is flat and fast. It's a pretty dreich evening but ok for running. After lacing my timing chip onto my shoes I'm keen to warm up, so join clubmate Brian French for a couple of short loops. I'm feeling good but resist lining up too near the front. I exchange a few hand shakes with club mates and my mate Graham before going over my planned strategy - Resist a fast start then increase my pace to 5:45 min/miles. That would give me a 35:45 which is 30 seconds faster than my current pb. I nod my head to confirm this strategy to myself when the race starts. Straight from the off I get caught up in the excitement of 10k racing again and my well formed plan goes out the window.

After the the first mile (5:38) the race settles and I find myself in a group which includes other vets Alex Chalmers (Garscube), Mick McLoone (Glenpark) and Stephen Mulrin (Garscube). The weather has taken a turn for the worst and it's now raining heavily. I stay focused and conserve energy by tucking in behind the Garscube runners. At 6k we turn and start heading back. I make a move to join the Dumbarton AC runner leading our group and we match each others pace to 8k. I notice clubmate Steven Prentice is leading the group ahead of us which includes Russ Whittington and Bruce Carse (Bellahouston Road Runners).

I pass the 9k marker and think to myself the finish is just around the corner so start surging only to realise I've miscalculated. The finish is still another 400m away. My legs are on fire. The young Dumbarton AC runner passes me and I can't respond. I hear heavy breathing behind me then the deep familiar growl of Iain Burke cuts through the driving rain. "Kick now Cris!" That gives me the wake up call I need and I break into a flat out sprint to cross the line in 35:10, 13th overall.

I set a new 10k personal best by 64 seconds tonight and and picked up two prizes, 3rd fastest men's team and 4th vet. Not a bad wee run in the rain! Next up Clydebank.

Sprinting for line - Dumbarton 10k

2 comments:

  1. Fine running Cris, and a superb pb. Sub-35 has to be just round the corner?

    Weather conditions look to be the total inverse of what we had at the Bupa 10k last weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephen, if only I could write blog posts as fast as I could run, I've still two to write up. Well done on your shiney new 10k pb too!

    ReplyDelete