Saturday 12 May 2012

Glasgow parkrun #173

Results | Garmin Data

I've arranged to meet Craig outside the club at 8.30 for a 4 mile warmup run around Pollok park before today's parkrun. The weather is fantastic, sunny blue skies and warm enough for just t shirts.

After four steady 7:00 min/miles we arrive at the start line and join other club mates to enjoy some pre race chit chat. Late runners who've driven here try to squeeze cars into spaces that don't really exist.

After a few last minute strides I position myself near the front with fellow club mate Steven Prentice. I'm feeling positive about the race ahead, no niggles to slow me down like last week and a good weeks training behind me. All going well I should pb.

The race starts and we tear down the road, runners weave in and out, finding spaces before the sweeping left corner, Steven leads the race. The road opens up briefly from beneath the trees before turning onto a smaller path. My breathing is loud, my heart is racing and I'm in 6th. I turn into the wide tree lined avenue of North wood and question myself, "can I keep this pace going?!" I look for interesting shapes high in the distant trees to focus on and help me maintain form.


At the 3k point Steven's dropped to 3rd and glances over his shoulder, "Ha!" I think about trying to catch him but decide it would hurt too much. We approach a small rise and I lean forward to attack it but suddenly feel lactic acid hit my legs. I drop off the pace which opens the door for the runner behind me but I manage to hold off any more attacks to reach the "200m to go" sign with just enough left for a final kick.

I look down at my garmin, the pb is on so I give it everything all the way to the cones. As I pass them I press stop and look down breathing heavily; 17:19. An elated surge rushes through my body as I walk down the funnel to collect my token. Life around me seems to slow down. Sweat drips onto my watch as I check it again. I reach the volunteers and they hand me a position token and smile. Steven waits for me at the end of the funnel and we warmly shake hands.

As I walk towards the barcode volunteers I retrive my barcode from my running belt and give it to another smiling women. I have a cheaply laminated parkrun barcode which never scans first time so we share a laugh as we bend it into different shapes. I ask if she's running the Women's 10k tomorrow to which she replies yes, as my card finally scans. I wish her good luck, smile then say goodbye.  I join Bryan for an easy warmdown jog in the sunshine. Great parkrun.

Steven broke 17:00 to come 3rd in 16:59. I finish 5th in 17:19 setting a new parkrun personal best by 30 seconds.




No comments:

Post a Comment