Saturday 5 May 2012

Glasgow parkrun #172


Results | Garmin Data

At 7.30am my alarm signals the start of the day which I chose to ignore. After a couple of late nights midweek, a fartlek session on Thursday and a brutal Stella Bartram workout yesterday I think sleep is probably more beneficial than a 5 mile run before parkrun and roll over.

I eventually get my act together and ride the two miles to Pollok Park where I lock up my bike and make my way over to the colourful start line (Womens 10k next Sunday) with fellow Harrier Tommy MacDonald. While the race briefing is being announced I glance around to if I recognise anyone and spot George Taylor, Russ Whittington and Al MacLachlan all whom recently ran the London.

I start fast near the front and once we're round the first few corners I pull away from the pack. I've now got a bit of space to assess my position and realise I'm in the chasing group of three while Tommy is in the leading group ahead. As we sweep left into the Glade the yellow vested runner in my group starts to pull I'm having to work hard to maintain my position. Thoughts enter my head about slowing down but I stick with it, holding onto the blue vest of Stuart MacDougal as we begin loop two. I hear breathing behind me and suspect it's either George Taylor or Russ Whittington. It's Russ and he overtakes just before the duck pond even managing a quick hello as he passes. I watch him go and once again thoughts enter my head, this time how much I don't enjoy racing this distance.

As I hurtle down towards the Glade for the last time I catch and pass the yellow vested runner who passed me earlier but is now flagging. One last push up the switchbacks and a strong finish and I could take 6th place and a new pb home. As I approach the top of the switchbacks my legs are on fire when a Glasgow Cross fit runner passes me. I have nothing left to respond with, barely just enough for a final kick down the last 200m and into the finish chute.

I finish 7th in 17:51 setting a new parkrun personal best by 23 seconds. An ok result but a hard slog of a race. I know I can do better. Sub 17:30 parkrun I'm coming for you this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment