Friday 4 May 2012

Post London and 2012 goals

I learned this week that my time in London qualified me for a championship entry next year.

I think having a championship start gives you some perks on the day, like your own dedicated start and finish areas, with showers. I'm certainly no championship runner but I shall be toeing the line again in 2013, if somewhat sheepishly. I'm just glad I have the whole year (and Berlin) to train for it as my goal time of 2:40 will require 6:00 pace which, if I'm honest, scares the shit out of me.

I went back to my club this week after a very light post marathon week, a total of 8 miles. It was great to catch-up and run with club friends again but my legs still felt pretty heavy. The session was 6 x 800m in Pollok Park with no chance of hanging onto Tommy who was flying.

After I got home I started mulling over what the wise Iain Burke said about going faster and it got me thinking maybe I could (and would like too) improve my 10k and half time by Autumn so I came up with the following goals.

2012 goals
5k - 17:15 (current pb 17:50)
10k - 34:30 (current pb 36:14)
10 miles - 57:00 (current pb 58:30)
Half - 01:16:00 (current pb 1:18:19)
Marathon - 02:40:00 (current pb 02:43:32)

Training paces to achieve goals
Easy / long run training pace is: 7:00 min/mile
Tempo run training pace is: 5:43 min/mile
Interval training pace is: 5:00 min/mile
Yasso 800s training pace is: 2:38 min/800

Revised weekly training plan
Monday evening – Circuits
Tuesday evening  – Club Run (hard speedwork)
Wednesday lunchtime – Easy run
Thursday lunchtime – Speedwork / Hills / Fartlek / Tempo / Yasso
Friday lunchtime – Circuits
Saturday morning – Medium / Long run / Tempo
Sunday – Rest

My first race is the Helensburgh's 10k in a fortnights time followed by Clydebank 10k, Dumbarton 10k and finally the Men's Health 10k mid June.

The Men's Health 10k start back in 2010.
Fellow Bellahouston Harriers Robel Nagash (796) and Tommy McDonald (leading yellow vest) leading the charge. Robel won the race in 30.47 and Tommy came third the following year in 33:36. 





No comments:

Post a Comment