Monday 30 January 2012

LSK Supplies Veterans Relays

Results | GPS data Photos | Photos

I was on the first leg for the Bellahouston Harriers male B team in the the Veterans relays in Strathclyde Park on Sunday.

After an icey start I settled into position behind the 12 strong group chasing leaders Robert Gilroy (Ronhill Cambuslang) and Andrew Wright (Carnegie Harriers).




I look down and see my Garmin has gone flat so I run to my heart rate and the other runners around me. Lesley Chisholm (Garscube Harriers) pulls up beside me looking really strong and we pace each other for next half mile til the halfway point.

I've no idea what pace I'm running but it's hurting. I empty my mind and focus on my form. I can see the water sports centre across the loch but its still at least a mile and a half away. Lesley Chisholm pulls away and I try to match her pace. We close down and pass Westerlands runner Chris Upson. With half a mile to go I can see Robert Gilroy and Andrew Wright have reached the finish, I just have to hold it together. My legs are burning now. I don't have a sprint left in me but can sense other runners behind me are gearing up for theirs. I turn into the last corner and sure enough Chris passes me. I cross the line and tag Mark Paterson before bending over and trying not to be sick.

I finish the 3.8 mile loop in 20:53 (average pace of 5:30) which helps the Bellahouston Harriers male B team come 7th overall.




No comments:

Post a Comment