Sunday 2 September 2012

Great Scottish Run


Results | Photos | GPS Data

It was the Great Scottish Run in Glasgow today.

My pre race strategy for this race was:
  • Wear a 1hr 77 min pace band
  • Resist a fast start
  • Keep it steady until Pollok Park
  • Increase pace on exiting the Park
  • Cross the line in 1hr 76 min something
  • Pub!

What actually happened was:
  • Ditch the 1:17:00 pace after 2 miles in favour of working in a small group
  • Run on gut instinct for 12 miles
  • Bury myself over the last mile
  • Pub!

Basically I found myself alongside quality Bellahouston Road Runner Kieran Docherty after 2 miles. I felt good so decided to match Kieran's pace which I managed all the way up Paisley Road West, past Rosie, Holly and Hannah, through Bellahouston and onto Pollok Park before opening up over the last 3 miles.

GSR Mile 12 - From left - Keiran Docherty - Bellahouston Road Runners, Brian McGarrity - Shettleston Harriers, Haley Haining - Kilbarchan, Irene Jerotich - Kenya, Cris Walsh - Bellahouston Harriers , Iain Connell - Kilmarnock Harriers.








My workmate and fellow runner Rob saw me 10 seconds after I crossed the line, gripping a metal tighly railing so I didn't wobble, (he was supporting from the other side). Even though I was incapable of processing much at that exact point I remember his soft south African accent cutting through the finish line din.

"Caa RIS maan!"

I looked up slowly from where I was slumped and there was big Rob offering me a handshake and a big friendly smile.  I couldn't speak so I just offered him my hand, a return smile and a 1000 yard stare before lowering my head again.

I finished 22nd overall in a time of 1.14.57 and 2nd in the Scottish National Half Marathon Masters Championships.

Support crew!




Big pints of Peroni and pizza in Clockwork Orange straight after with Colin Thomas and George Taylor before a club BBQ at Cartha in evening. A great day and amazing support from family and friends.

Stats:
First half: 5:46 min mile pace
Second half: 5:41 min mile pace




No comments:

Post a Comment