Saturday 30 June 2012

Calderglen 10k Trail Race

Results

Armed with a freebie sample gel, my race red Invo8 285s and a head for decents I tore round the first muddy mile of the 2012 Calderglen 10k trail race last night.

Start



I knew my lead would be short lived so just enjoyed it until the muddy footsteps of David Phee (Giffnock North), Robert Gilroy (Cambuslang Harriers) and Greg Glendinning (Bellahouston Roadrunners) thundered past at the 1 mile marker. As they went by I felt a relief, I'd have only gotten everyone lost.

What am I doing in this group?


By mile 2 I risked blowing up spectacularly so backed off, losing four more places before regaining control at the halfway point. I held 8th for another mile but was eventually past by Iain Hughes (first Calderglen Harrier) and Robbie Hayman (Bellahouston Road Runners) who both looked strong.

As I watched them increase the distance between me I gave myself a shake and refocused, closing down the gap with a mile to go. I tucked in behind Robbie on the last section of trail before attacking hard on a short uphill to Calderglen House. I got past both Robbie and Iain and just had to kick home 400m but misjudged it and was beaten to the swampy finish line.

I ended up finishing 10th in 39:58 and 3rd vet. Not a bad performance after a weeks holiday but a poor finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment