Thursday 11 August 2011

Bellahouston Harriers 2 Mile Time Trial



"Why should I run practise running slow? I already know how to run slow. I want to learn how to run fast"
  Emil Zatopek

I ran my first 2 mile time trail this evening as part of Bellashouston Harrier's summer series.
After sitting behind a desk all day looking outside wondering if the heavy rain was going to stop, what pace I should run at and had I eaten too much at lunch I logged off and rode the 2 miles from work to Pollok park.

After a quick change and catchup chat with others it was outside for a 2 mile warmup. Legs felt a little fatigued from Saturday's long run, a few lunchtime 10ks and circuits the night before but this disappeared by the time we all lined up on the start line.


I pushed the first mile running a 5:30 to keep up with a comfortable looking Mark Paterson but knew I was going a little too fast given the second mile had a hill. I kept the foot down but by the time I got to the top of the hill with 500m to go I was tired. I couldn't do anything to hold back the strong finishing sprints of Matt Brown and Brian Douglas and finished 7th with a 11.18. I wasn’t entirely sure of how to run the distance if the truth be told. I knew it would be fast but therein lies the risk, go fast and burn up or hang back but leave yourself alot to do. Never had these issues with marathons, just sit back and enjoy the views for 3+ hours! Really enjoyed the race though and delighted with result.

No comments:

Post a Comment