Saturday 13 April 2013

VLM13 one week to go

It's been 3 weeks or so since my last 20+ run so I'm pretty well rested but mentally I've found the taper quite hard this time round. Too much time to think and put pressure on myself to perform.

One of the things I'm thinking about alot is weight and my diet. I would need to lose another 4lbs to reach my racing weight by Sunday which isn't going to happen. I should manage another 1-2 lbs to take me to 148lbs (13% body fat) which I'll be happy with.

I'm carb depleting for the next three days then carb loading from Wednesday. On race day I'll carry four SIS gels, one every 45 mins, a small packet of jelly beans in the back pocket and half a chia bar wrapped in foil for backup if the gels get too sickly.


Hydration wise it'll be 500ml of water when I wake up, one "Beet It" shot 15 mins before race then half a 330ml water bottle every 3 miles, half an isotonic bottle every 5 miles and few electrolyte tabs dropped into water bottles if it gets hot. Hopefully that will cover all bases.

My race strategy is to go out at 6.15 m/m pace for first mile, bring it down to 6:00 by Tower Bridge (halfway) then drop to 5.55 pace for the second half, that's the plan anyway. It could go well, I could explode spectacularly.

Rosie and and I travel down to London on Friday by train. We're staying in awesome Godmother's lovely home in Ealing again so looking forward to a couple of day's in and around London.



First time in the championship start this year, running number 626.

 

Finally, picked up new 10 mile pb last Sunday in the Tom Scott Memorial 10 mile road race, finished in 55.41, 2nd V40. 
Whose the baldy on the far right? 

Tom Scott Memorial 10 mile Road Race from Crispin Walsh on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment