Tuesday 1 November 2011

The Southside Six


The Southside Six is a 16 mile road and trail race through the south side of Glasgow taking in six of the most scenic parks. The event was the brainchild of six friends who became tired of following routes that entailed stretches of suburban roads in favour of Glasgow's numerous parks. This was their first year of putting the event on.

The Route.

Garmin's tracked route



The Race.

After a short race brief from orgainisers Nick and Alan, myself and my fellow circuits mates made our way down to the start near the flagpole in Queen’s Park. The weather was crisp and I was feeling good so decided to start near the front.

"3, 2, 1, Go!"

The first ever Southside Six start.




A mad 5:40 min/mile sprint down through Battlefield towards King’s Park ensued much to the bewilderment of a few hungover freshers milling around outside Spar. During the next two miles I passed a steady stream of runners before it slowly dawned on me I might not be too far behind the lead runners. This wasn't really my plan but it felt good.

Entering Linn Park (3miles) I quickly tried to cobble together a new strategy for the next 13 miles given the pacey start. This is what I came up with: maintain 6.20 min/miles until Bellahouston Park (13miles) then just hold on...

At mile 4 George Taylor of Giffnock North and the lead women Jenny McClean of Edinburgh AC passed me whilst I was watching my footing on wet leaves. I let them go knowing I could probably pull them back on the long uphill of Clarkston Road.

Leaving Linn Park the route passed through Clarkston Toll and onwards to Rouken Glen Park (7.3miles) where Rosie was waiting with a much needed lucozade. I had moved up couple of positions having passed Jenny McClean and George Taylor on the hill as planned and was still feeling strong. I maintained 6:20 min/miles for next 3 miles through Thornliebank before entering Pollok Country Park (11miles) where my mate Graham offered some support for the final 3 miles, thank you mate. 

Running free in Pollok Park with Geroge Taylor chasing

































Graham Ghillies mobile support

I kept it going through Bellahouston but was passed again by George Taylor on Nithsdale Road. I couldn't respond this time the pace and distance having finally taken their toll.

Burst welly.
I held him in my sights as we entered Queen’s Park, both trying to summon up one last push for the uphill finish at the flagpole. He groaned when he saw the two flights of steps so I took my chance and passed him with just enough pace so he couldn't respond. It hurt but it worked!

I finished in a time of 1:40:32 and in sixth position, delighted!
All smiles and handshakes at the end - 5th, 7th and 6th.



















This was a superb event. Stunning route, brilliant organisation, very supportive friendly marshalls and a super tasty spread at the end. What more could you ask for? Well done Alan and Nick and everyone else who helped make this happen. Looking forward to SS6 2012.

 Stats












2 comments:

  1. top running! i like the bit with me in it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Cris and great race! Speeds I could only dream of! I'm looking for a 1st 2nd or 3rd from you now please. ta!

    ReplyDelete