Wednesday 22 August 2012

5 weeks until Berlin..


It is just over five weeks until I run in the 39th BMW Berlin Marathon. It will be my third marathon in 18 months and I am starting to feel the training fatigue and excitement kick in in equal measure.

I have managed to stick to my training plan more or less, running 5-6 days a week, 45-55 miles per week, plenty of speedwork and hard long runs.

I have four goal times in mind which break down as:

1. Sky high dream time - 02:39:30
2. Realistic based on training - 02:43:00
3. Acceptable - Sub 3.
4. Issues outside of my control, still happy given the conditions - To finish.

There is a few tough weeks of training left which include the Great Scottish run (half marathon) then it's taper time before the big day.

Brandenburg Gate




5 comments:

  1. Good luck at Berlin Cris, I'll be watching on the telly with a cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephen, I think I'll need more than a cup of tea after this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dare to dream (and train) for the sub 2:40. Your 1:14:57 at GSR suggests this is eminently possible, but also be mindful that marathons rarely go to plan! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chris, wise words. A sub 2:40 (by however small) is what I am aiming for but do realise it leaves me very little margins.

    I had an encouraging lunchtime yasso 800 session today - Each half mile split was between 2:35 - 2:39 which is a supposedly a good indicator for a sub 2:40.

    Ian - I prefer a two week taper so will start reducing miles from next week.

    Staying away from the German beer until the race is over probably a good idea too. T

    ReplyDelete